With all the joy one can get from shopping in big malls and boutiques, nothing is better than the satisfaction of finding a worthy and cool piece among hundreds forgotten odds and ends. It is literally adventurous and very exciting. However, finding and carefully choosing vintage items is a talent you cultivate over the years. Wearing them is not easy either. Since we both love mixing and matching vintage clothing with modern pieces, we decided to share our expertise with you. Below is our ultimate guide to rocking vintage pieces.
- Don’t confuse vintage with second-hand. While you can find the perfect vintage piece in thrift stores, not all the second-hand items are necessarily vintage. Vintage items represent a distinctive fashion era from the 50’s to the 90’s. So before going out for the hunting, we recommend you to get a basic introduction to the history of fashion. This will make your journey even more fun.
- Browse the thrift stores for better prices and better findings. While you can find a lot of street flea markets in Europe, you will struggle if you live in North America like we do. Your only solution is probably a curated vintage boutique that has higher prices than usual. Our suggestion is for you to find out more about those local vintage markets and browse the thrift stores. You will be surprised to find what jewelry you can get from Value Village. If you are located in Calgary – Commonwealth Collector’s Club and A vintage affair are the places to go.
- Speaking of jewelry, it is a good start and the most secure way to introduce vintage items into your wardrobe.
- Always mix vintage clothing with modern pieces. This is the golden rule of the game. Pull vintage clothes with ultra modern separates.
- Choose garments that look like current trends. Vintage is cool when you can barely see it there, you don’t need to transform yourself into an antique character.
- Pull some modern hair and makeup. When you’re wearing vintage try to avoid vintage makeup or hair. It might be too much of the same story. You don’t want to look like a pin-up girl.
- Accessories like a vintage belt or a scarf will make your outfit look special.
- If you can afford it, invest in designer vintage bags. Their value will only increase in time.